Brown Recluse Spider Bite Poisoning In Dogs: Symptoms, Causes, & Treatments

[ad_1]

(Picture Credit: Joao Paulo Burini/Getty Images)

Brown recluse spider bite poisoning in dogs can happen when one of these spiders bites and injects its venom into the wound. The poisoning can bring on a range of symptoms, and it can even prove fatal.

Brown recluses, also known as violin spiders or fiddle-back spiders, most commonly live in the Midwest of the US and are most active during the nighttime. You can usually identify them by a violin-shaped marking on their upper bodies.

If you see signs that your dog might be suffering from poisoning due to a spider bite, you must consult your veterinarian for a proper diagnosis and course of treatment. Here’s what you should know about the symptoms, causes, and treatments of brown recluse spider bite poisoning in dogs.

Symptoms Of Brown Recluse Spider Bite Poisoning In Dogs

In some cases, brown recluse spider bite poisoning in dogs might not necessarily result in any symptoms. But in other cases, some of the most frequent symptoms include:

  • white lesion
  • Pain in the joints
  • Fever or chills
  • weakness
  • Local pain at the point of the bite
  • anemia

Causes Of Brown Recluse Spider Bite Poisoning In Dogs

Small brown recluse spider climbing a wall.

(Picture Credit: PeteMuller/Getty Images)

The cause of brown recluse spider bite poisoning is the venom that the spider injects into the bite wound.

Generally, these spiders stay most active at night. They tend to live in the Midwest most often, but people have found them across the United States.

Bites are actually rare. Brown recluses do not tend to bite unless they are cornered or trapped between the skin and some other surface or object.

Veterinary Treatments

If you notice that your dog is suffering from brown recluse spider bite poisoning, your veterinarian will want to carry out a full examination. They’ll also ask about any symptoms that your dog is experiencing.

Blood tests are crucial when it comes to diagnosis. The vet can also order a test to look for the presence of the spider’s venom in the bloodstream.

When it comes to treatment, the precise course of action will depend on the severity of the bite. Usually, treating the wound is the first step, and a cold compress can help bring down any swelling.

In severe cases, vets may consider intravenous therapy and blood transfusion. These are procedures that will need to be carried out in hospital. Additionally, if the poison has spread far enough and caused significant damage, the vet may need to amputate a limb.

In all cases, getting to a veterinarian as quickly as possible is vital so that the poison has less time and opportunity to spread through the body and bloodstream.

Has your dog ever suffered from brown recluse spider bite poisoning? What did your vet do when you brought your dog in? Tell us all about it in the comments below.

[ad_2]

Comments are closed.