Despair of the family over the house with “1000 mice” and poisonous black mold


A mother of two says she is worried about her family’s health because of “toxic black mold” and a “rodent problem” in her home.

Paraskevi Karagkouni lives in a one bedroom property where 1,000 mice have been trapped due to a rodent infestation.

She lives there with her partner and two young children, with social landlord Clarion Housing running the property, MyLondon reports.

Get the latest news from the Stoke-on-Trent area

The family moved in 2019, Paraskevi had a 15-month-old daughter after moving in and since the birth of a little girl last month.

Paraskevi, a 22-year-old university student, originally from Athens, has claimed that both she and her partner have repeatedly complained about problems in their home and advocate a safer and cleaner environment for their children to raise.

Clarion is in charge of repairs, and Paraskevi said a few months ago craftsmen cleaned and painted the black mold in the bathroom, but it has grown back at an alarming rate since then.

More than 1,000 mice were caught on the property

She said, “I’m really scared for my youngest, I shower her every day, but I’m really worried, after two or three minutes I’ll take her out of the bathroom because I don’t want her to breathe it in.

“I also have to keep changing my face cream and toothbrush because of the problem – it’s really bad.”

Black mold can be seen in every corner of the family’s bedroom and living room, which Paraskevi believes is the cause of her daughter’s breast infection.

While the family sleeps at night, their bedroom becomes a playground for mice – closing doors won’t stop them from wreaking havoc in the bedroom.

The condition of the bathroom walls

Paraskevi estimates that over 1,000 mice were trapped in her home, up to three per day in traps.

She believes she has spent over £ 100 on mousetraps so far and she cannot let her children play on the floor and is also uncomfortable resting them on her bed.

She added, “‘I’m really worried even putting my kids on the bed, it’s quite risky for my newborn. But I have no choice because of the mice.”

“I wouldn’t mind living in this house if I had a better environment – it’s not so much about living in a bedroom, it’s about being in those conditions with my kids.

The mold can use health problems

“Why is this happening to me? I really feel sorry for my kids, they can’t play around.”

Paraskevi says she will “not give up” the fight to find better accommodation for her and her family.

She wrote to MP Ellie Reeves about the issues, and last month a health care worker told Clarion that the property poses a health hazard to her two young children.

Paraveski said, “I’m a really hardworking person. I’m trying my best, I’m still in training and I’m going back to work. I try to do everything I can to ensure that my children have a better future for us.”

“I don’t want to give up, I will never give up anything in my life.”

A Clarion spokesperson told MyLondon: “We are aware of Ms. Karagkouni’s current situation and are committed to resolving the mold problem so that her family can feel more comfortable in their home.

“After a visit in September to investigate the problem, our staff should install a humidistatic fan in the bathroom and perform the mold treatment.

The house needed some mold treatment

“The visit to complete the work was then canceled at the request of the residents and postponed until next week. Our pest control company also visited the property in September and the follow-up visit was also postponed to a more favorable time at the request of the residents. “

Clarion added, “Ms. Karagkouni’s family currently needs a larger home and overcrowding can contribute to increased condensation and mold growth. We will discuss ways for the household to move into a new property that better suits their needs. “

Clarion, which manages 125,000 properties across the UK and is Europe’s largest housing association, has come under fire from numerous tenants claiming to be living in appalling conditions.

Last week, Dawn Page, of Merton, south London, said her house had become “uninhabitable” due to a sewage leak in her kitchen and toilet and she had been forced to spend months in a hotel with her daughter.

More stories

Stoke-on-Trent father of 10 threatens to murder rival family while sons begin fighting outside the pub

Burslem’s legendary Red Lion Pub has reopened after a nine-year hiatus and familiar faces support the bar

Victory! You can now park for free in Stoke-on-Trent’s most hated parking lot

Married father, addicted to gay porn, caught with sick photos of boys

‘Long lines, dirty tables and overpriced’ – Your reviews of Wheelock Hall Farm

When the 50-year-old first reported the leak to Clarion on July 5, she was told it was “okay” to keep cooking in her kitchen, where the leak was dripping onto surfaces and behind cabinets.

It wasn’t until early August, when Dawn relayed information from Environmental Health to Clarion confirming it was a serious health risk, that she and her 11-year-old child were finally taken to a hotel.

Last month, The Mirror reported that another tenant who has lived in hotels for three months may not be moving before Christmas after being moved out of her damp, moldy, and bug-filled home.

Clarion Housing took nurse Louise Plunkett to a hotel in July after she was hospitalized with breathing problems while living in conditions so poor that she slept on her sofa for nine months.

The 34-year-old Mitcham resident had complained to Clarion for nearly a decade but got stuck with the housing association.

In May, 22-year-old Kwajo Tweneboa, who lives on Eastfields Estate in Mitcham, spoke about the appalling condition he had to live in, saying that workers once told him that “not even animals would live in these conditions” .

He said his father died of cancer while he was living on the property and claims the poor conditions contributed to his death.

Not signed up for the newsletter? Check it out here

Register now to get it here for free

Comments are closed.