Mayor – Information – October 2022 – New Orleans Mosquito, Termite and Rodent Management Board to Conduct Grownup Mosquito Abatement Tonight – Metropolis of New Orleans
NEW ORLEANS — The New Orleans Mosquito, Termite and Rodent Management Board (NOMTRCB) will conduct grownup mosquito abatement tonight, climate allowing, within the following places:
- The Decrease ninth Ward within the space bounded by Florida Avenue, Jourdan Avenue, the Mississippi River and the parish line
- New Orleans East/Venetian Isles/Michoud within the space bounded by I-10, I-510, Chef Menteur Freeway and Lake Pontchartrain
Mosquito abatement actions this week are focusing on marsh-breeding mosquitoes and Culex quinquefasciatus, the native major vector of West Nile virus (WNV). WNV has been circulating in native mosquitoes for a lot of weeks, and one WNV-positive blood donor was detected in Orleans Parish within the final two weeks. NOMTRCB urges residents to cut back the chance of mosquito bites by utilizing EPA-registered and CDC-approved mosquito repellents when outside, particularly at night time when the mosquitoes that carry WNV are most lively.
The Board asks that residents verify areas across the residence and yard not less than as soon as every week and switch over all containers that maintain water. Though it has not rained not too long ago, mosquitoes can breed in a small quantity of water, and breeding websites could be effectively hidden.
Be sure that rain barrels are coated with mesh screening or handled with mosquito dunks. Flip over kids’s toys, water tables and swimming pools when not in use. Empty and change water in outside pet dishes often. Scrub the perimeters of containers and fountains to take away mosquito eggs. Report standing water, unkept fountains, swimming swimming pools, building websites holding water and dumped tires to 311.
Please assessment and comply with the extra suggestions for residence and private safety.
Shield Your self
- Cut back mosquito publicity by limiting outside actions between nightfall and daybreak.
- Use air-con or sit within the air stream of a fan outside when potential
- Be certain that window and door screens are in good situation to stop mosquitoes from getting inside the house.
- Use CDC-approved repellents containing EPA-registered lively components reminiscent of DEET, picaridin, IR3535 or oil of lemon-eucalyptus.
- When utilizing repellent, all the time comply with the suggestions on the product label.
Shield Your Dwelling
- Remove standing water the place mosquitoes breed round your property and yard by tipping over all outside containers not less than weekly.
- Be certain that swimming swimming pools and fountains are purposeful and circulating.
- Take away trash and muddle and switch over any object that may maintain water, reminiscent of kiddie swimming pools, buckets, empty trash cans, kids’s toys or plant pot trays.
- Change water weekly in containers that can not be eliminated reminiscent of hen baths, pet water bowls or non-functional fountains.
- Scrub the perimeters of the containers to take away mosquito eggs which will have been deposited.
- Rain barrels and different water assortment gadgets should be screened and picked up water needs to be used inside one week.
- Aerate decorative swimming pools, fountains and sugar kettles, or inventory them with fish or mosquito dunks.
Report Mosquito Points
Please report mosquito-related points utilizing one of many following strategies:
For extra info on West Nile virus, go to the CDC web site:
For pest administration suggestions, abatement bulletins and normal info, comply with NOMTRCB on Fb, Instagram and Twitter @nolamosquito.
# # #