Mayor – Information – September 2022 – New Orleans Mosquito, Termite and Rodent Management Board to Conduct Mosquito Abatement Tonight, Urges – Metropolis of New Orleans
NEW ORLEANS — The New Orleans Mosquito, Termite and Rodent Management Board (NOMTRCB) will conduct grownup mosquito abatement tonight. Therapies shall be performed by truck from 8 p.m. to midnight, climate allowing, within the following places:
- Gentilly/Lakeview within the space bounded by Lakeshore Drive, Franklin Avenue, Allen Toussaint Boulevard and Canal Boulevard
- Algiers within the space bounded by Woodland Drive, Common De Gaulle Drive, Vacation Drive and Patterson Drive
- Algiers/Tall Timbers/Brechtel within the space bounded by Common De Gaulle Drive, the parish line and the Intracoastal Waterway
- Decrease Coast Algiers within the space bounded by the Intracoastal Waterway, Patterson Drive and Donner Canal
West Nile virus (WNV) has been detected in mosquitoes all through Orleans Parish in latest weeks. Mosquitoes grow to be contaminated after they feed on contaminated birds, and after a couple of week, they’ll unfold the virus to individuals and animals by biting them. Whereas most human infections are asymptomatic, frequent signs can embrace headache, physique aches, fever, joint ache, vomiting, diarrhea or rash. In uncommon circumstances, extreme sickness affecting the central nervous system can happen. Folks over 60 years previous or these with sure medical circumstances are at greater threat for extreme sickness.
NOMTRCB requests that residents examine areas across the house and yard not less than as soon as per week and get rid of sources of water the place mosquitoes can breed. Mosquito larvae can develop in an area as small as a bottle cap, so something that holds water counts.
The Board additionally urges residents to cut back the chance of mosquito bites by limiting out of doors actions between nightfall and daybreak. Use EPA-registered and CDC-approved mosquito repellents when open air, particularly at evening when the mosquitoes that carry WNV are most lively.
Decreasing the chance of mosquito-borne virus transmission is a group effort. It’s crucial that residents work collectively to cut back public well being threats in peak mosquito season. Please overview and comply with the extra ideas for house and private safety.
Defend Your self
- Scale back mosquito publicity by limiting out of doors actions between nightfall and daybreak.
- Use air-con or followers if doable, and ensure window and door screens are in good situation to forestall mosquitoes from getting inside the house.
- Use CDC-approved repellents containing EPA-registered lively substances corresponding to DEET, picaridin, IR3535 or oil of lemon-eucalyptus.
- When utilizing repellent, at all times comply with the suggestions on the product label.
Defend Your Residence
- Eradicate standing water the place mosquitoes breed round your own home and yard by tipping over all out of doors containers not less than weekly.
- Be sure that swimming swimming pools and fountains are useful and circulating.
- Take away trash and muddle and switch over any object that may maintain water, corresponding to kiddie swimming pools, buckets, empty trash cans, youngsters’s toys or plant pot trays.
- Change water weekly in containers that can’t be eliminated corresponding to hen baths, pet water bowls or non-functional fountains. Scrub the edges of the containers to take away mosquito eggs that will have been deposited.
- Rain barrels and different water assortment units should be screened and picked up water must be used inside one week.
- Aerate decorative swimming pools, fountains and sugar kettles, or inventory them with fish or mosquito dunks.
Report Mosquito Points
Please report mosquito-related points utilizing one of many following strategies:
For extra pest administration ideas, abatement bulletins and different common info, comply with NOMTRCB on Fb, Instagram and Twitter @nolamosquito.
# # #