Mayor's Workplace – Information – Articles – October 2022 – New Orleans Mosquito, Termite and Rodent Management Board to Conduct Grownup Mosquito Abatement Tonight – Metropolis of New Orleans
New Orleans Mosquito, Termite and Rodent Management Board to Conduct Grownup Mosquito Abatement Tonight
NEW ORLEANS — The New Orleans Mosquito, Termite and Rodent Management Board (NOMTRCB) will conduct grownup mosquito abatement tonight, climate allowing, within the following places:
- The Decrease ninth Ward within the space bounded by Florida Avenue, Jourdan Avenue, the Mississippi River and the parish line
- New Orleans East/Venetian Isles/Michoud within the space bounded by I-10, I-510, Chef Menteur Freeway and Lake Pontchartrain
Mosquito abatement actions this week are concentrating on marsh-breeding mosquitoes and Culex quinquefasciatus, the native major vector of West Nile virus (WNV). WNV has been circulating in native mosquitoes for a lot of weeks, and one WNV-positive blood donor was detected in Orleans Parish within the final two weeks. NOMTRCB urges residents to cut back the danger of mosquito bites through the use of EPA-registered and CDC-approved mosquito repellents when outside, particularly at night time when the mosquitoes that carry WNV are most lively.
The Board asks that residents examine areas across the house and yard at the very least as soon as per week and switch over all containers that maintain water. Though it has not rained just lately, mosquitoes can breed in a small quantity of water, and breeding websites could be properly hidden.
Make it possible for rain barrels are coated with mesh screening or handled with mosquito dunks. Flip over youngsters’s toys, water tables and swimming pools when not in use. Empty and substitute water in outside pet dishes often. Scrub the edges of containers and fountains to take away mosquito eggs. Report standing water, unkept fountains, swimming swimming pools, development websites holding water and dumped tires to 311.
Please assessment and comply with the extra suggestions for house and private safety.
Shield Your self
- Cut back mosquito publicity by limiting outside actions between nightfall and daybreak.
- Use air-con or sit within the air stream of a fan outside when doable
- Ensure that window and door screens are in good situation to stop mosquitoes from getting inside the house.
- Use CDC-approved repellents containing EPA-registered lively elements similar to DEET, picaridin, IR3535 or oil of lemon-eucalyptus.
- When utilizing repellent, at all times comply with the suggestions on the product label.
Shield Your Residence
- Get rid of standing water the place mosquitoes breed round your own home and yard by tipping over all outside containers at the very least weekly.
- Ensure that swimming swimming pools and fountains are purposeful and circulating.
- Take away trash and muddle and switch over any object that may maintain water, similar to kiddie swimming pools, buckets, empty trash cans, youngsters’s toys or plant pot trays.
- Change water weekly in containers that can not be eliminated similar to fowl baths, pet water bowls or non-functional fountains.
- Scrub the edges of the containers to take away mosquito eggs that will have been deposited.
- Rain barrels and different water assortment gadgets should be screened and picked up water must be used inside one week.
- Aerate decorative swimming pools, fountains and sugar kettles, or inventory them with fish or mosquito dunks.
Report Mosquito Points
Please report mosquito-related points utilizing one of many following strategies:
For extra data on West Nile virus, go to the CDC web site:
For pest administration suggestions, abatement bulletins and normal data, comply with NOMTRCB on Fb, Instagram and Twitter @nolamosquito.
# # #