University of Michigan closes library after poisonous spiders are found
A University of Michigan library was closed for two days this week after three poisonous spiders were found in the basement.
The Mediterranean recluse spiders – whose bites can cause skin irritation or even tissue death – were discovered in late January at the Shapiro Undergraduate Library on the school’s campus in Ann Arbor.
Anne Danielson-Francois, a professor at the University of Michigan-Dearborn, later identified one of the creepy crawlers.
The library was closed on Sunday and Monday.
However, university spokeswoman Kim Broekhuizen said staff closed the building due to a misunderstanding.
“We apologize for the inconvenience to the university community,” she said in a statement to the Detroit Free Press.
Regardless, as a precautionary measure, the library was still being treated for spiders on Monday, the report said.
The spiders were not present in a public area of the library, and Danielson-Francois said they pose no great danger unless humans come into close contact with them.
With postal wires